Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Well, Bless My Soul!

So, last night I went into Philly to pick up my mom at the airport. She had been visiting my sisters in Chicago. Dharma, Vance and Baby Bee are living there now and Daria has been staying there to help Dharma while she's on bed rest (20 weeks and counting). Dharma had had a few scares with contractions so Mom went out for extra support.

I get to the airport, find Mom pretty easily (only had to circle the terminal 4 times dodging kamikaze taxis and airport shuttles) and just as we're pulling away from the terminal, she says, absentmindedly, "Oh, I have to stop at Terminal C for a second." WHAT?? What the heck for? That's what I asked, crabbily. It was 11:30 at night. And now that I'm being normalized by pretty, little, lavender thyroid candy I go to bed by 11:00. I was tired. She said, "Oh, it'll just take a second. Here, right here."

I look ahead to where she's pointing and she a person standing in the distance who, for a split second, looks a lot like Daria. And before my mind can compute the retro glasses, rust-colored sweat jacket and faded jeans, I realize, IT IS DARIA! I literally gasped and it's a good thing there weren't any cars anywhere around me because I just cut straight across two lanes to get over to her!



Mom and Daria were both laughing at my shock and excitement, and I almost cried (I actually did jump up and down a little while hugging her) but I didn't care! I have been missing my baby sister SO MUCH lately and Autumn is the WORST time to be far from her. She is my partner in crime in all Fall Frolickings. I've been planning things for the weeks and months ahead with bittersweet sighs, knowing she wouldn't be here for them. She's only here for 10 days, but we can cram enough seasonal silliness into that amount of time to hold us for a while. Believe me, if there is anyone who is good at silliness cramming, it's me and Daria. Here's what we're going to do:

1. Laugh. A lot. And a little more.
2. Indulge in our favorite fall foods: pumpkin cookies, tea and scones (well that's a favorite year-round), beef stew, shepherd's pie, hot cider, cold cider, apple crisp for a start.
3. Go apple picking.
4. Scream ourselves silly at several of Redheaded Snippet's hockey games (NO ONE is more fun to spectate with at a junior high game than Daria) and probably mock the other players' hair and clothing choices behind our hands.
5. Catch up on Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga for Wii. Don't judge me. It is what it is.
6. Catch up on The Sims 2. I gave SimDaria a beyond-belief castle and a kilt-wearing, mohawk-sporting husband that she needs to see. Again with the judgement, alright?
7. Wander around Michael's drooling over art supplies and Halloween decor.
8. Rent Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for Wii. We've been planning that all summer.
9. Laugh some more. Drink some more tea.
10. I can't think of a tenth but I'm leaving it open because there are always unplanned fun things to do.

On that note, I may not be blogging as much for the next few days. I will be busy stocking up on fun instead! But, Daria always provides me with lovely blog fodder so I'm sure it will be worth it, blogwise. Well, we're off to several of our favorite haunts today and there is lots to do so I must go!

No comments: