Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Almost Officially Autumn



Victory! None of the girls on either team played with any kind of passion yesterday, and they all seemed to be having trouble with the straggly grass on the patchy field, but we still managed to win 5-0. Redheaded Snippet had a mixed game as she scored a goal and made several breaks, but finished the game crawling off the field with a charley horse in both legs. She's the center mid this year, which requires horrifying amounts of running, but apparently, the real problem was she wasn't drinking enough water. She got dehydrated and her legs cramped up. I'm going to go out and buy her a bigger water jug!

Dinner last night was a success, too, thank you for asking! We got home at 6:15, tired and hungry and all I had to do was transfer the roast and veg to a platter and whisk up some gravy while The Viking and Man-Cub set the table (Redheaded Snippet was stretching out those calf muscles). We were at the table in roast beef heaven within 15 minutes of walking in the door! I got the mouth-full-thumbs-up from The Viking across the table! That's what I look for!

Tonight I'm planning a vegetable curry with basmati rice but I still have to get to the Pakistani market for some cardamom pods and whole cloves. And I want to bake something yummy for The Viking to share in his bible study class tonight as it's HIS BIRTHDAY!



Yes, that's right. And that IS an actual photo of me and My Viking taken several years ago in Cape May on our Anniversary! I can share old photos that are already loaded into the computer just fine!Today is the day my darling bloody hairy beast of a husband was born, 37 years ago! This morning, Man-Cub gave him this fire engine M&Ms dispenser for his desk at work but the other gifts are waiting until we have his official birthday dinner which will be Friday or Saturday.



I'm still looking through my spell books for the perfect magic brew for the celebration. Now that my cooking skills have gotten to be so much better, I'm feeling a little more confident in whipping up something truly impressive. I asked The Viking last night what he thought he might like for his special dinner. He thought for a second and then said, "Lasagna?" Lasagna? Why not just stir up a pot of hamburger helper? Gah. I think I may just ignore him and make shrimp cocktail, some fancy-ass salad, lamb shanks braised in red wine, potatoes gratin, and a superb dessert to knock his socks off that I haven't settled on yet. What do you think? Or should I cater to his Viking side and present him with several huge racks of ribs and a vat of beer? We shall see. But, lasagna? Honestly...



So, has it hit you yet? Fall Fever? Are the leaves beginning to turn where you are? Have the nights turned crisp yet? Are the days lovely and mild? Have you caught a glimpse of any early-birds with their Autumn decor displayed? Yesterday was the first day I woke up chilly because of the open window and had to shrug into my jacket in the afternoon! It made me want to make pumpkin soup and beef stew and hot apple cider.

I LOVE Fall! It's my favorite time of year and I always feel like I've come back to life when the weather turns brisk and dry leaves scuttle along the sidewalks and streets. I love the orange glow of pumpkins, the creepiness of dry, dead cornstalks, the muted russety colors of pots of mums. I love the eeriness of crows, bats, full moons, howling winds; the sticky sweetness of caramel apples, hot cocoa and bowls and bowls of trick-or-treat candy. I love tromping through an orchard or pumpkin patch with pink cheeks and a numb nose, wearing a bright scarf and my favorite corduroy jacket. I love field hockey games, Halloween parades, back yard bonfires and snuggling up in flannel bedding, falling asleep to the sound of crickets.

I'm dying to go into a Fall Frenzy over here! I want mums everywhere! Pumpkins everywhere! Bittersweet vines wound wherever they can be wound! Cornstalks! Indian corn! Crows bats spiders mice! ACK! I want it all and I want it now! I want to plan weeks and weeks of hearty, stick-to-your-ribs comfort foods like chili and cornbread, shepherd's pie, bangers-n-mash, lamb stew! I also want my blog to be decked out for fall, but I have spent days and days trying to figure out how to do it and all I've got are a few favorite fall images in my sidebar and that familiar ache between my shoulder blades. I am a pathetically lame blogger.

So, imagine you're looking at beautiful Autumn images in shades of orange, rust, brown, and goldenrod, okay? Imagine beautiful, soothing, mellow Autumnal music (it's out there, be creative). And if you have any good resources for me, please tell me!

Sigh. I must be off. There are beds to make, clothes to wash and goodies to bake.

No comments: