Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

Still Trying to Catch Up

Alas, I did not have the best evening last night. Don't tell anyone but we sat down to eat at 9:00 pm. I KNOW! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

I think it's my new lease on life. Seriously. Now that I'm drugged up but good and feeling motivated and ambitious and all, I am trying to cram all these great (and necessary) things into my schedule. With my new vim and vigor, I am convinced I can do it all in a day, no problem. But, ah, there is a problem, you see. The medication has had no effect on my complete and utter lack of a sense of time. I am clueless about time. I can't tell you how many minutes have passed since I first started typing this. I can't tell you how long it's been since The Viking and Co. left for work/school. It's terrible and it's really getting me into trouble lately.

I wake up, get the kids off to school and think, "Today I am going to make the beds, clean the bathrooms, wash, dry, fold and put away three loads of laundry, finish my porch projects (nope, STILL not done and Daria is leaving soon), do my Bible study, sweep the floors, take a shower and a nap, create our weekly menu and grocery list, do the shopping, play some Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for Wii and be ready by 3:00 to pick up Man-Cub and drive to Redheaded Snippet's hockey game. No problem!" But I have absolutely no idea how long it takes to do any of those things and, invariably, I get distracted somewhere along the line and I wind up trying to finish everything in the evening and dinner gets finished at 9:00. I think I need to pull back a little, no?



It is raining here. And when it's not raining, it's threatening to. It started yesterday. All day long the winds whirled around, making great about-to-rain noises. The sun, probably cranky about Daria's rages at it all day Tuesday, went into a sulk and everything was grey, grey, grey. Today they're calling for intermittent rain and there's supposed to be a hockey game. A good one. The first really challenging game of the season. We had another shut-out on Wednesday, winning 7-0. This team put up a fight, but it still wasn't an evenly matched game. The team we're supposed to play today historically beats us, except for two years ago when we tied in a scoreless game for the Championship. They're an excellent team and, between you and me, I think we're going to lose, but we're looking better than I've ever seen us and I am eager to see how we do against them. AND I WON'T GET TO IF IT KEEPS RAINING! Gah.

I have decided that I am going to go out and buy GALLONS of apple cider today. It's time. I think it's also time for cider donuts and perhaps pumpkin cookies, or maybe I'll just buy a gross of canned pumpkin and make my own Harvest treats from now on. Ooops, there's that overly ambitious streak again. Maybe I'll just buy a can or two and make a few loaves of pumpkin bread. We'll see.

I've been playing my Halloween music list on itunes every day and lighting pumpkin candles and I'm just so exciting that Fall is here and Halloween is (okay a month away, but still) just around the corner. Man-Cub is going to be Indiana Jones this year. I am happy with that choice. I just need to find a fedora, leather jacket and a whip. He'll also need some kind of leather-looking (felt, maybe?) bag, some stubble, and perhaps a pistol, though he can't take it to school because they are not allowed to display weapons, blood or any other violence-related items in school on Halloween. I wonder if a whip will count? He was allowed to keep his quiver of arrows for his Link costume last year, but not his bow. I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to set a young, probably hyper, 7-year-old boy loose in a school with a whip when there's an excess of sugar floating around.

Redheaded Snippet is not going to dress up this year because she will be on a youth group retreat on Halloween weekend instead. She says she's taking a costume with her and wearing it on the retreat, so I think I'm going to have her take a costume we already have in our costume bins in the attic. I don't really even have bins anymore, I have those G-I-A-N-T ziplock bags, but when I was growing up we called them costume bins and so that's what they still are.

I would like to dress up (when wouldn't I like to dress up?) but, as per usual, I can't figure out a good costume. I was going to be Sarah Palin, but I'm hearing of lots of people doing that so that's right out. I suppose we could resurrect an old costume, maybe have The Viking be a viking again and create a female counterpart for me to be. I could handle a breastplate and long blonde braids for an evening. Of course, we'd have to walk around everywhere singing, "Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit! KILL THE WABBIT!" That could get tres annoying. Even for us.

I think that's all I've got. Oh, not it's not. Listen to this:



I was awakened this morning by the gobble of a wild turkey. And I'm not talking about my husband or children. I was lying there, making use of the snooze, when I heard a distinct gobble outside. My eyes popped open and I lay there, wondering if I was dreaming and then I heard it again. And again. It was weird. We've seen a flock (bevy? murder? gobble?) of them roaming around the neighborhood in the early mornings, but I've never heard them gobble before. It felt kind of rural. I'm sure it's some kind of omen for the day, like everything is going to go screwier than ever, but all it's done so far is got me thinking about Thanksgiving dinner. Mmmmmmmm.



Right. Must go be productive in an appropriate and moderate manner.

No comments: