Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Being Pecked to Death by a Chicken

Confession time. I'll let you in on a little secret. Well, secret may be a wee bit too strong of a word. I don't think anyone who knows me would be surprised at all by this, but...

...I don't really like children. There, I said it! And I kick puppies and park in Handicapped spaces just for spite and throw my garbage in the Salvation Army donation buckets at Christmas time! Give me a break!

I don't have a dislike of children, and I certainly adore my own, but I'm just not one of those "kid" people. I've never been good at talking down to kids or being all cutesy and enthusiastic. In fact, I always talk to children like they're grown ups, but with words they understand. Must be why people say my kids are so articulate. Anyway, I realized this about myself when I was a senior in college majoring in Music Education and teaching piano lessons to children to pay my bills. I know the exact moment it happened, too, in Music in the Elementary Schools class, as I was sing-spelling my name while accompanying myself on a toy xylophone. It was like I finally came-to, stared at the mallet in my hand and shrieked, "WHAT AM I DOING???"

Needless to say, within the week I changed my major to Vocal Performance and have never once regretted it. All this to say, I don't particularly do well with children. But there are exceptions:

Like this one:

My niece, Baby Bee.

And this one:

My nephew, Vantastic.

And then there's this one whom I am not even related to, but love like I am:

Cindy Lou Who, daughter of my dear friend, Mrs. (Councilor) Nugent (of kitchen-organizing fame), has come for a visit today. She is the most charming little thing, doesn't tolerate cuddling and pecks you to death with questions. I never thought I would love a kid this much if I didn't have to!

She used to come over every week, but now it's just every now and then. I miss seeing her and her mom all the time so today is a nice treat. We're going for a ride with my mom, then hitting A.C. Moore (squee with me, will you?) and if we have time, baking something pumpkin-based. I don't know, bread, muffins, pudding, cookies, SOMETHING! And, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, tonight I am lighting all the candles I have spent days arranging artfully about the house, settling down with a mug of hot chocolate and a portion of whatever I've baked this afternoon, and pretending it hasn't been 80 degrees all week!

October is half-over already! I've got to soak up as much Autumnness as I can before it's gone!

Right. Time for me to be off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post brought back memories for me. I was an Elementary Education major until two things happened...I did a student internship in the 5th grade and got a real taste of the classroom and then in in the music class, I froze in front of the class, couldn't remember the words to the song I was teaching. When asked if I was okay but the instructor, I replied that I thought I was going to throw up. Changed my major soon after. So, I had to laugh at your post!