Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

Whatcha Eatin'?


I've just been wiggling in my seat waiting for this! It's Menu Plan Monday!

Let me just say I think having something special (even if it's just a little special) to look forward to on a Monday makes a world of difference. Yes, the alarm clock still seemed a wee bit more sinister, Man-Cub still begged for an extra day off (like it's in my power to do that), the dog still got the rest of the pumpkin bread off the counter and ate it in the night (took all my self-control to not brain her with the tea kettle when I discovered it), and it was frickin' freezing in here this morning, but who cares? I get to post my weekly menu!

Why on earth do I get so excited about this? I don't like reading menus, mine or other people's. Don't get me wrong, I do it, but I don't get excited about it. Now, reading people's grocery lists, that's a different story. For some odd reason, I like reading those. I even said I was going to write a book that was simply a compilation of people's grocery lists. Everyone thought I was nuts. I let it go. Or did I...?

Okay! FOCUS! I think it's because of the sense of accomplishment, okay? I've completed one of my required weekly tasks and I get to prove it. Also, I used to be absolutely terrible at menu-planning and now, while not stellar, I'm much better at it.

Without further nonsense, here's it is (and I don't know how to fancy it up font-wise or anything, sorry):

Friday: Pizza! We never do this, but The Viking wasn't home, I was crabby and Redheaded Snippet had a couple friends over

Saturday: Chinese Take-Away. Me still crabby, no food in house.

Sunday: Broccoli-Potato-Cheese Soup. Somehow this doesn't sound nearly as delightful as it was. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Monday: Spaghetti, Garlic Bread and Salad. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. A house staple; one that's easy and economical. I do make my own sauce, though.

Tuesday: Amber's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. I know I've blogged about this before. I couldn't wait to make it again. Also some form of crusty bread product.

Wednesday: Meatball Sandwiches (made with leftover homemade sauce from Monday) and Salad. Found a bag of meatballs in the freezer I'd forgotten about. And I always have a bowl of sauce leftover that goes bad in the fridge. No more!

Thursday: Cobb Salads. Never got to make those last week as we had enough leftover something for me to avoid cooking another day. But I still have all the stuff. Bonus!

This all reminds me I need to take that chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow. And I sure hope those meatballs aren't freezer-burnt.

Well, I need to take a nap. I couldn't sleep last night because it was so cold and The Viking wouldn't let us turn the heat on yet. He's holding out for November 1, I think, and is still campaigning hard for that wood-burning stove in the corner of the living room. He's willing to get rid of the piano for it! Whaaaat? That's crazy talk, right there! He found Man-Cub and I in the kitchen huddled around the open door of the oven this morning and said, coaxingly, "Just think if we had that wood stove, all you would have to have done is thrown a log in the fire." Like it's just that easy. And with everything else I have to do in the morning, let's add "build a fire" to the list!

Right. Now, where's that hot water bottle?

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Sigh. I DO wish we lived near each other. I think we could be fabulous friends. All doped up on 'happy pills' and yummy soup (that you would cook for me... hee). Glad to hear you are back.

If its any consolation, I woke up 5 minutes before my daughter bus was supposed to arrive. And then spent the next 30 minutes listening to her cry about how "I made her late" and now she "has to be a parent-pick-up-kid". Oye. I am dropping out of the race for mom of the year. Officially.

~Stacy