Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oh My Aching Back


So, I only have a minute here because I must go back to the recliner. You may not remember my pesky aching back from a few weeks ago, but this morning, I managed to take a nagging ache that tended to flare up and was easily managed by periodic treatments of heat and rest (in other words sitting in the recliner with the heating pad on it for an hour or so) and turn it into an actual injury the likes of which is going to require a trip to the doctor, prescription meds and at least a day of confinement.

I fell down the stairs at 6:15 this morning. You see? THIS IS WHY I DON'T GET UP EARLY! I was up because I had to take The Viking to a coworker's house to get a ride into work so I could have the car because his truck broke down the other day resulting in a radiator hose exploding in his face, spraying him with coolant and hot water and yet not hurting him very badly (thanks to God's protecting hand). When I came home I was going to go back to bed, but for some reason I simply cannot remember, I decided to go back downstairs for something. What was it, it's driving me crazy!

I didn't turn the light on because everyone else was still asleep (lucky devils) and about 2 steps down, I stepped on something (I think it was a hanger, of all things, drat those kids), my feet slid out from underneath me and I bumped and slid down the rest of the staircase on my back.

I should have just turned that stupid light on because Daria and Redheaded Snippet were wakened anyway by the thunderous sound of my body flopping down the stairs and came running to see if I wasn't killed. I could have simply woken them up with the light. They would have been a little more cranky, but certainly less alarmed and I wouldn't be so...stiff and sore.

So, the knot in my back is now in full-blown spasms and I'm stuck moving like the Tin Man. As long as I only move at the waist and elbows I'm okay. But I can't move my neck side to side or up and down, I can only lift my right arm at the shoulder a little and I can't move my left shoulder at all.

Thank God Daria is here. She planted me in the recliner with heating pad, woke Man-Cub for me and drove him to school. Redheaded Snippet, of course, simply caught the bus so it was nice not to have to worry about her. I spent the morning playing Lego Batman in the recliner and then managed to creep back upstairs to take a nice, long, if pain-laced nap and then back down again to make some tea and toast before posting a quick update here.

I'm letting Daria sleep a bit more before I call the doctor to see if I can get in today. Thankfully, we all pitched in and cleaned the house right after dinner last night so I don't have to worry about that and I'm pretty sure Daria or Mom can pick up Man-Cub and Redheaded Snippet doesn't have a game today. But dinner is going to be a problem. I roasted a chicken last night and intended to make homemade chicken pot pie with the leftovers tonight and everyone was so looking forward to it. There is no way I will get Daria to touch a chicken carcass and by the time Redheaded Snippet gets home it will be too late to start it. Not sure what we're going to do!

Right, well, it's hurting to sit up anymore so I'm off. Off to recuperate some more. Now my only decision is which Lego game to play: Batman, Star Wars or Indiana Jones...


No comments: