Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Not a bad way to spend a September Saturday...

...or a fortieth birthday for that matter...


Well over a year ago, The Viking and I agreed to sing and play in the wedding of a former vocal student of mine, who happens to be the daughter of friends from our old church.  We had no way of knowing then that the wedding would fall on The Viking's 40th birthday.


When we found out, we were disappointed for about a split-second and then we realized we'd be getting dressed up, going to a fancy party, having a nice meal and going dancing, all without the children!  For the price of a few songs!  Talk about singing for our supper...


In all seriousness, we were honored and happy to be involved in the wedding, which was lovely.  The bride and groom were lit up with happiness and the venue, the Tyler Arboretum was wonderful, especially on a cool September afternoon such as yesterday.


These are all photos I took with my new Droid 3 after I had finished my sound check but was waiting for the rest of the musicians to finish theirs (and by, "the rest," I mean The Viking as he and I were the only musicians).


It wasn't the sunniest day imaginable but it was still delightfully crisp and the air smelled clean and woodsy.  It was enchanting.




This was my view from the mike.  I don't get to sing in the great outdoors very often.  I wanted to gambol and frolic at the same time, but that wasn't what I was hired to do...


The Viking always plays The Captain to my Tennille.  But he won't wear the cap.  Can you see those suspicious-looking drops on the keys?  Any idea what those might be?

Quite an appropriate song for such a setting, no?

Maybe a glimpse of my sheet music (rubber banded to the music stand--trick of the trade) will enlighten you.  Yes!  Those are raindrops!  We had a few moments of near-panic, as we stood out in the open being pelted by raindrops whilst surrounded by yards and yards of electrical cords and machinery!  I really didn't want The Viking and I to be tragically and simultaneously electrocuted on his fortieth birthday.  Think of the children!


But, hurrah! the shower was short and light, no one was harmed and the wedding went off without a hitch.  We had a great evening, got to catch up with old friends and I got a new profile pic in the process.

Like I said, not a bad way to spend a Saturday in September on which it is your birthday...

No comments: