Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: Destination: The Loo

round button chicken
~Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life~
Every Thursday at Like Mother Like Daughter

I've noticed that, since I've been participating regularly in these PHFR events, I have been much more aware of the beauty, happiness and humor (I've always been rather aware of the realness) that surrounds me. And I have seen a slow but noticeable difference in my life.

Is it possible? Could it be...

...contentment?

Anyway, I am pretty dang sure that is the purpose that the charming and clever ladies of Like Mother Like Daughter had in mind when they launched Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real. And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't dare take the credit for it, but I thank them anyway! They are the best (and I don't even really know them)!


So, I wandered into our upstairs bathroom this afternoon and instead of seeing all the things I've been wanting to improve in it for the past 13 years, I saw beauty, happiness, humor and reality. And I felt contented. So I grabbed my camera.


This is the upstairs bathroom, the one guests rarely use unless they're staying overnight.  This is the family bathroom.  It is not perfect.  But I do like it and I always have.  May I point out that mirror?  It's one of my favorite things in the room.  I trash picked it off of a broken dresser.  The Viking slapped a few coats of white paint on it and mounted it to the wall for me.  It fits perfectly, we've had it for 13 years and I don't see myself ever changing it!

Pretty

I try to use things that are both pretty and practical in my house.  I don't have time for many items that are purely ornamental.  I only want to dust it if I'm going to be using it.  That empty blue jar will have cotton swabs or cotton balls in it as soon as I remember to go get some!  And someone should probably refill that towel tub...

Pretty/Happy

Okay, so I have something that's purely ornamental.  Yes, I use fake flowers.  It's that or have dead, smelly flowers sitting around all the time.  Me and indoor plants?  Not friends.  Also, I love the imperfect beauty of the towel rack.  Redheaded Snippet made it for me at camp one summer.  She guessed on the color.  It's off just enough to be noticed and just enough to be quirky.  I love it!

Funny/Real

I thought I'd show you our graffiti wall (you may have to look closely).  Long ago, there was a window where that enormous, elongated blob is now.  When we built our addition, the window was filled in, but the trim and windowsill were left up because I liked it and was determined to find a way to "use" it (my poor Viking is a very patient man).


I won't tell you how many years went by without me doing a blessed thing to it, but several months ago, The Viking (a very patient man) had finally had enough.  He took the trim down and spackled in preparation for re-papering.  And, knowing me, knew he could take his good old time getting back to it because I, for one, was not about to complain.


But he failed to take into account the mischievousness of our family and the irresistible lure of a blank wall right next to the toilet, a wall destined to be covered up in due time no less.  And so it began...


We've all contributed something and visiting friends have even joined in.  There are poems, quotes, drawings, mild insults, jokes, and declarations of love.  It just might be my favorite thing in the room!

Real

This is the part of the bathroom that is generally hidden from view.  Unless you happen to use our upstairs toilet (which, again, only family and overnight guests do).  And now I am opening it to the public for a limited time viewing!  There's nothing really earth-shattering here: waterpik, flossers, toothbrushes and paste, hairbrush, bookmark, books, magazines (we're not the only ones who read in the loo, are we?), and, of course, matches and potpourri!  I also stash an extra soap dish with soap here because some of us like to use it but I can't abide how messy it looks up next to the sink.


...aaaaand here I am, trying to figure out how to use my camera.  I think I was messing with the zoom here.  Hello, world!

And goodbye, until next week!  May we find each other content next time we meet!

8 comments:

Mrs. Fordyce said...

Your bathroom is lovely! The mirror is especially pretty, and I love the graffiti wall! And, I agree with you about finding contentment more easily these days! It is a good thing.

justamouse said...

I don't think I could ever, EVER paint over that wall now. That is the best.

Rachel said...

What a truly beautiful bathroom! I love all the fun and beauty that's in every angle.

And, no, you are not the only family to read in the bathroom. Ours sometimes calls it the "library" by mistake! But sometimes it's the only place you get to be alone to finish that last chapter...

Linny said...

What a GREAT {phfr} post!

Mama Bear, JD said...

I like peeking in. That was fun. Can't even imagine what my little kids would draw on the bathroom wall....

Anonymous said...

Awesome graffiti wall. I love it!

Leila said...

Well, yes, we do read in the loo! I think it's because we're all such talkers -- there is NO WAY to get a magazine article read in a common space. Talk talk talk...

I have a huge feeling of gratitude that you understand why we started this link up! And put it into words! MWAH!

Red said...

I wrote that Latin bit about Spongebob Squarepants :)