Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Ignore previous post, please, and let's talk about soup

I knew I shouldn't have hit the publish button! What happened there was the hypoglycemic blogger's equivalent of drunk dialing: low-blood-sugar blogging.

Don't blog while your sugar is low. Just don't.

And DON'T scroll down now just to see...knock that off! Here's a recap of what I'm saving you from:

1. Snow--loving it.
2. Small detour through a global warming jibe
3. Snow Day Aquarium Adventure--and probably not the kind you're thinking.
4. Redheaded Snippet is leaving us for the weekend--why is this newsworthy? (Hint: it isn't)
5. Blah blah blah
6. SOUP!

I am declaring next week SOUP WEEK! I don't know why. Maybe it's the cold and snow. Maybe I just want lots of soup.

Here's what's on tap and I am going to do my best to document each submission for posterity:
1. Chicken Noodle Soup
Not just any chicken noodle soup, the chicken noodle soup I am becoming known for! Which makes me feel like a fraud. I didn't invent it, I just copied a recipe off of the internet and I make it a lot. And it's scandalously easy.

2. Tomato Ravioli Soup
I'm excited about this one. I want to have it tonight! I don't usually like tomato soup, but then, I've mostly been exposed to the canned stuff to which you have to add a can of water. I don't think that counts. Especially after having some rather yummy REAL tomato soup at a tea room last week. This is a Frankensteined recipe and I don't usually like doing that but we'll see how it goes.

3. Beef Vegetable or Beef Barley Soup (depending on whether I can get myself to the store before dinner tonight)
I braised a hunk of beef last night. I don't want to talk about it, really, but I have planned leftover meat that I was going to put in a pie tonight. Then Dharma got to talking all about Beef Barley Soup on Facebook and now I want to make it into soup instead. But we're not sure if it will work with previously cooked meat. But if it's not a suitable soup I'll let the liquid cook off and make it into cottage pie anyway.

4. Broccoli-Potato-Gouda Soup
This is a favorite of teenaged girls everywhere, it seems. This is one of the dishes Redheaded Snippet's best friend hopes I'm making when she stays for dinner. You could almost serve this as a warm dip, it's so rich, thick and good. And it's one of those wonderfully fast soups to make.

5. Southwestern Chicken Soup
Have never had this before. The recipe is from a Facebook friend and it sounds delicious, especially for a cold and snowy evening. Apparently, it's quite spicy. And my kids LOVE quite spicy!

I'm thinking five homemade soups might be enough for one week. I'm hoping there are leftovers of one or two of them to fill in the other two nights. But just in case, I'll have pizza and bangers-n-mash handy.

But what I'd really like to conquer this week is BREAD! NOthing will make me feel more like a woman, like SUPERMOM than making homemade bread! I know, I must be crazy but there it is.

Right. Must go now. Things need to be tidied and such.


No comments: