Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

One Misty, Moisty Morning

I went out to pick up Man-Cub from school today and was struck by the loveliness of the day. It wasn't particularly sunny or crisp, but neither was it grey or drab. The clouds seemed to envelop rather than oppress the atmosphere and it felt hushed and muted, misty and mystical. I don't really know what it was, but it thrilled me. So I decided to tramp back outside and snap away with the camera.

This is the view from the kitchen porch of the woods across the street .

The front lawn, dotted with oak leaves.

Looking across the street from the end of the driveway. This is the view that helps me forget I'm in New Jersey suburbs.

Looking back at the house from the driveway.

Here are my beloved hydrangeas, looking delightfully gnarly and weird.

Yet one still clings to its bloom of youth.

And heading back, this is what I see every time I climb the stairs to re-enter my house. Incidentally, that screen door has become a small bone of contention recently. It's just a wooden frame with screening stretched over it, but I love it. It has a long spring and no latch so when it opens you hear a long, low groan and then a good, sharp SLAP when it bangs shut! The Viking put it up for me, but he's losing patience with it. Apparently, it is not very energy-efficient and the drafts of cold air it allows in are starting to dull the effects of its simple, old-fashioned charm. He wants to replace it with a new-fangled, air-tight, modern storm door with a screen that rolls up and down like a shade. I admit, that sounds impressive, but I like my old fashioned slapping screen door. I wonder if a happy compromise is possible? I guess only time will tell...

Ooh! Guess what? There's a Fed Ex truck in the driveway! A package? A package! For us? For us! Hang on while I scurry to the door...

******************************************************

Wow, that was fast! I ordered a tablecloth from Jack and Friends two days ago and it's just arrived!

I never thought I'd actually find a vintage-looking tablecloth with strawberries on it! And just look at that lovely bubble-wrap!

It came in its own sweet little matching envelope. Now if only I can think of something creative to do with it...

Yes, I know it's a little small for my table and needs to be ironed, but it'll do nicely. It was the only size they had and I wanted it badly!

Maybe it'll look better turned the other way. Of course, I could turn it catty-cornered like I do with my other tablecloths that don't fit (old wedding gifts), which drives my mother crazy cause she thinks catty-cornered tablecloths are nothing short of irritating, but for now I think I'll just enjoy it like it is!

Yay! I love getting things in the mail! Especially pretty things for my house!

And now for that bubble-wrap...

2 comments:

Amongst The Oaks said...

Oh, don't get rid of your screen door. I would love love love to have a creaky, groany, slammy screen door just like that. It would remind me of my grandmother and simpler times. After we remodeled our kitchen, I told the Lord of the Manor that I wanted a screen door just like that. But of course I live in California where we don't need storm doors so I'll understand if you must change it to something more practical.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally feel your paint. I LOVE creaky, groany, slappy screen doors! They are so charming and make me feel like I'm in another time and place. But the energy efficiency thing is important, too. Sigh!
~Angela :-)