Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

No sugar in the morning, no sugar in the evening, no sugar at suppertime

Yesssss, I realize this is, like, the third post in a row about my hypoglycemia. Just deal with it, okay? I am dealing with it every stinking minute of every stinking day so having to read about it thrice in one week is really not that bad, alright?

Hmmmm...speaking of altered states due to low blood sugar, maybe it's time for a protein-packed snack?

Hang on while I go nibble on some cheese...ok I'm running low and must pace myself cheese-wise so I'll have to settle for a lowfat, light yogurt and we'll see how it goes.

I am quite frustrated with the information available on hypoglycemia. There's just a lot of conflicting information out there. For every study or report I read that says hypoglycemics should avoid fruit and milk, I read another one that says fruit and milk are fine, and then another that says they're actually beneficial. One study says stevia is a great sugar substitute, then another says to avoid it at all costs. And the complete lack of low-sugar recipes for hypoglycemics is appalling! We are not diabetic and cannot follow absolutely the same kind of diet as diabetics do! Or can we?

Sigh. I have an event coming up that I'm trying to plan for and I just don't know what to do. My old Wednesday night Bible study class is reuniting soon. For desserts. Full of sugar. This could be the ultimate test of my new-found resolve to no longer put poisonous sugar into my body! The only thing that could be worse would be to have it fall on the worst day of my period and have EGOD and my in-laws there (my three worst sugar scenarios).

I am trying to find a low-sugar dessert. And not a low-sugar, healthy dose of monastery food masquerading as a dessert. Butter, cream, milk and even flour are okay, whole wheat is best but even white flour is tolerable, I just need little to no sugar. And I can't find anything! I'm thinking of experimenting with scones, which already have a considerably small amount of sugar in them as it is (at least the recipe I have) and are one of my most favorite foods. And I'm thinking, perhaps, something heavy on bittersweet chocolate or cocoa might be good as there is less sugar in either of those elements as well.

If anyone has any ideas or recipes or places I could look, I would be most grateful. I would like to be able to attend my reunion and contribute a dish without drawing attention to the fact that I'm no longer eating sugar or inflicting misery on everyone's palates.

Well, that's enough complaining for one day. I've got a dog to walk and laundry to fold and iron. Until next time...

No comments: