Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: First Edition


So, I'm a day late and I couldn't get the button to work...how's that for real, eh?

My favorite blog, Like Mother Like Daughter,  has begun a...whatsit called? Meme? Thing? Whatever you call it, they call it Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real. I'm having trouble remembering the order of those words and have to keep checking it. Anyway, you post photos of something in your home that you find pretty, happy, funny and/or real or any combination thereof. And you go to their site and link up! Oh yes, and this is on Thursdays. Rather important, that.

I was crazily stressing about participating (as I do) and spent most of the morning wandering about the house trying to find something. And then, my life obliged me by providing me with the perfect specimen!

First, let me say I think my PHFR posts will consist largely of Real contributions. I usually have LOTS of Real going on in my house. Sometimes it's also Funny. I can at times manage to glean the Happy from it. It is rarely Pretty.

So, yesterday, I was feeling rather poorly, as I'd been feeling for several days. I had gotten almost nothing accomplished and was wallowing in self-loathing when suddenly I heard a knock at the door!

I looked up to see that it was time for me to give the piano lesson I had completely forgotten about. That's right, my student and her mother were at the door!

I usually spend the last hour before she arrives making sure I am well-groomed and the house is tidied, vacuumed, and wiped down.  But as it was, I was sitting barefoot, with no makeup on, with my hair unbrushed and shoved back into a headband, at the computer eating cheese and pepperoni. I was a greaseball. And the house looked like this:


You can't really appreciate the mess from these.  I did not try to hide anything in these shots, but they look better than I deserve.


Look closely and you'll see the empty Jello cup on the floor, the empty popcorn bowl from the night before...how about that space heater on top of the coffee table?  Admittedly, this shot was taken after Man-Cub had taken pity on me and scraped a large armful of stuff off of the table when he heard the knock on the door.  It's probably all in the dryer.  Better go check that...


This doesn't look quite so bad either, but that's because you can't see the undusted piano and unvacuumed carpet.  Can you make out the pile of sheets on the chair in the distance?

As for me, I looked like this:


Only a lot worse than that.  This is, sadly, a flattering photo.  I particularly love the ham-hock arms and flyaway bristles of hair around the headband.  This is the sarcastic interpretation I used to express my loveliness when I told the story to Redheaded Snippet later. She then insisted I reenact it for the camera. We agreed the shot is too fantastically ridiculous not to share. I look Happy, even if I wasn't really, right?

I'm sure I gave my student and her mother quite a lot to talk about on the way home.  They probably think I drink in the afternoon.  But she said something about seeing me next week so I suppose I didn't scare them off completely.

There you have it.  Real?  Yes.  Funny?  I suppose it is.  Happy?  Give me a few days.  Pretty?  Now THAT'S funny!


4 comments:

Leila said...

I knew you'd come up with something fabulous!

You're awesome and they better know it. :)

Rosie said...

Haha... I can totally relate. When I was teaching, I had my 10th-grade literature class over each year for high tea and a Jane Austen movie when we read Pride and Prejudice. One year, I was particularly behind, and had just finished my last bit of cleaning up and taken a quick shower before starting to make scones for the girls. All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door: one of my students was a full hour (might even have been two or three?) early. She was there, with her father. And I was (I kid you not) in my towel. (don't worry - I threw on some clothes before answering the door!)

Yours Truly said...

That's such a hilarious/terrible/awesome story! (I guess this would be a case of "comedy is tragedy plus time"?) Thank you for sharing it!

Mama Bear, JD said...

That was so funny. I'm glad you posted later so I didn't miss it! And I always see your comments on LMLD so it is nice to finally click over. The popcorn bowl, the jello cup....I so relate!