Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crankypants

That's what I am today. We overslept (even The Viking) and came downstairs to find the dog had thrown up in a corner of the only room in the house that is still carpeted. Grrrrrr...

It is dreary out; glumly gray and gloomy. The snow that the northern part of the state is getting would be preferable to this, yes, even on this spring day.

I am behind on chores and laundry--when am I not?--and once I'm finished here (IF I finish) I am going to Mom's tonight to clean her apartment. I'm glad to be able to do that for her, but I can't say I look forward to it.

EGOD has been calling The Viking all morning at work and he has asked me to call her and see what she wants. Ugh. She only ever calls us when she's mad at my father and wants to shriek that she doesn't know if he may have dropped dead. I really don't know if I can take her vitriol today.

We haven't even started school. And don't get me started on school. Lately, it's just been one more thing for which I can beat myself up. All my grand plans have fallen flat. We're barely getting through our curricula, there have been no field trips, there have been no great projects and we are sick of each other. I have the very great fear that we are going to have absolutely nothing to show for this year when it is over. He wants to go back to the public school in September and I just don't know what to do.

I forgot to give Redheaded Snippet lunch money today so now she has eaten nothing all day.

I'm supposed to be braising or otherwise cooking a corned beef brisket I got last week when I took advantage of the St. Patrick's Day sales. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it so I'm putting it off. But I have to get it started soon or dinner will also be late today...

And because everything has gotten out of whack today, I had to cancel my weekly visit with my dear friend, the only other full-time stay-at-home-mom I know. We usually get school out of the way in the morning so we can visit in the afternoon, but not when we oversleep and have to clean vomit out of the carpet and cook brisket (not necessarily in that order)!

It's not been a very good day, so far, and I am probably making it worse by sitting here whining through my keyboard and not accomplishing everything on which I am behind. But there it is. Can a crankypants be productive? I propose that she cannot.

And yet she must. We must eat and be cleanly and try, just try, to learn something...


3 comments:

Anne said...

Is this your first year homeschooling? The first year is usually really rough. Don't dispair- all is not lost! Take a short break from your curriculum tomorrow and start one of your grand plans. Or a field trip, or anything educational that he can muster some enthusiasm for. It doesn't have to fit with any plan or be tied to your curriculum- just get out and enjoy doing something. Do whatever you can to fight that feeling of rising panic. It's a real killer.

Pippajo said...

Yes, this is my first year homeschooling, what gave me away?

I like your suggestion. I'm going to look around and see what I can find for tomorrow (actually *gasp* later today). Thanks for the idea...

Anne said...

I asked because I wasn't sure but I thought I had read it in another post. :) I feel like there is much I want to share with you about homeschool in general, particularly that feeling you were having yesterday, which I have experienced often. Unfortunately, I cannot get my thoughts together. I will say this, though. The first year of homeschool is very much a time when you get rid of all your preconceived ideas and enjoy a huge reality check. Also, you begin to figure out what works for you and what does not. If you are making ANY academic progress at all in math, spelling, and some kind of language arts, then you are OK and don't give yourself a hard time.