Pages

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Soup Week Penultima: Broccoli-Potato-Cheese

This soup is an unlikely favorite in our home. Broccoli isn't a very subltly-flavored vegetable and so I'm always surprised when kids eat it willingly. Gouda is another food with an in-your-face taste to it; most people I know have definite feelings, good or bad, about Gouda. And, so, a soup starring both flavors is one I would not have predicted would be so heartily enjoyed by so many in my family.


I explained about the low-quality photos, right? No need to go into all that again? Good! This is a quick, easy soup, perfect for a Friday night when all the Head Cook wants to do is relax with a cup of tea watching Keeping Up Appearances while having her feet rubbed but instead has to provide a healthy, tasty, frugal meal for her family and like it!


Peel and chop two red-skinned potatoes. Simmer them in 28 oz of low-sodium chicken broth until they're mashable. Mash them slighly. Then add 2 cups of milk and as much cleaned broccoli as you like. Simmer away to your heart's desire. Last night I let it simmer a little longer and the broccoli cooked down until there were no big chunks left. We liked it. But we also like it with the broccoli a little more al dente and in bigger chunks. It's very forgiving. Add 8 oz shredded Gouda, slowly so the cheese has time to melt, then serve!


This recipe calls for optional greens but we are decidedly a no-greens-in-soups kind of family. I've been thinking lately that some bacon would be a rather nice addition so I mean to try it sometime. Of course, that adds a time-consuming step to the process so that means not leaving it for one of the busier or later nights of the week, but one of these days I'll do it!

One installment left and Soup Week will be a mere fond memory! And I've saved the riskiest one for last: White Chili!


No comments: