Pages

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Cake Dome Thingy

No, I'm not all caught up yet. There are still more reports of our recently-ended six-week whirlwind of activity to come. But I want to do this instead. So I am!

Look what Mom brought me yesterday!

Ooh, no, that's too close. I know we're excited but let's back up a bit...

Better? See? It's a...what is it? I mean, I know what it is, but what is it actually called? Or, how does it call itself, as Poirot would say. A cake dome? Cake server? Cake display? Whatever it is, it's one of those things I've secretly always wanted but could never recall when the time came to tell people who wanted to know what kinds of things I've always wanted. And also? Ignore the red water jug prominently featured in these photos. Redheaded Snippet is in the thick of field hockey training, this time for the high school team, so it's impossible to take three steps or a single photo without tripping over some kind of hockey paraphernalia.

Mom called yesterday out of the blue and said, "Do you have a cake dome?" I think that's what she called it. I said, kind of dejectedly, "No," thinking she was hoping I had one so she could borrow it and suddenly remembering that I don't but would love one. Then she said, "Do you want one?"

YAY! "Of course I do! I've always wanted one!"

She had it in the car with her, having picked it up at a friend's house (said friend is moving and getting rid of stuff and is most definitely not the cake dome type of person and thus was going to throw it away despite its brand-new-still-in-the-box condition). She thought I might like it and brought it over right away.

I immediately took photos of it and began fantasizing of ways to use it and places to put it. And I'm such a drip, this is all I've come up with so far.

Lemons. The sad, little lemons left over from the iced water with lemon slices I forgot to serve at our Independence Day cookout. Now, I don't think cake domes were ever intended to hold lemons (sounds a bit weird to me somehow) but this was the only thing I had (besides Cheerios) that I thought I could display in there at the moment.

Daria kindly made brownies last night so I was a) going to get photos of them and b) going to cut them into big, happy squares and stack them neatly in the dome and then take photos of that but a feeding frenzy erupted as soon the pan came out of the oven and that plan was scuttled.

So, I'm torn between setting it on the hutch with something decorative inside it...what I don't know yet...OR setting it on the little shabby table I have sitting next to the pantry with, you know, actual baked goods in it all the time. I know, that's a serious undertaking. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Leila said...

Dear Pippajo,

Um...just a thought...cake??

XOXO
Leila