Pages

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Sick and Tired...

...of being sick and tired.

So, the gig, for anyone who is interested, went well.

My voice held out, the songs went well and everyone had an enjoyable evening. The fire department raised a nice sum of money to put toward the building of a new fire station. It was worth every moment of silence I had to endure the week before.

But I am so tired again today. Man-Cub seems to have picked up either what I had, or something else wonderful and different. He has had a fever since Friday morning that just won't break. It's been hovering around 101 degrees but spiked up to 103 on Sunday morning. I took him to the doctor, which, of course, prompted his temperature to take a temporary dip back to normal, but no reason could be found for his symptoms. The fever continues, unabated, and his cough is getting worse and worse. I'm not sure what to do. I don't like taking my kids to the doctor unless there is something they can for them that I can't and his ears, lungs, throat and sinuses have already been checked. It was declared to be the work of a virus, which we all know cannot be killed. So do we just keep dosing him with Motrin and Tylenol for the fever and Dimetapp for the cough and pray things don't worsen into something more serious? And when do I know if things have gotten serious?

Man-Cub, like many of us, gets very clingy with Mom when he is sick. Most of the time, I play second-fiddle to The Viking, who is the apple of our son's eye. But when he is sick, move over, Dad, cause it's Mommy time! I have to admit, I have been thoroughly enjoying being needed and wanted so much by my sweet boy who usually rolls his eyes when I kiss his forehead. But it is a bit like having a toddler again. I haven't been able to get much done this week and have spent a lot of nights getting up to check his temperature, give him medicine, replace cold cloths on his forehead and smooth his sheets and blankets.

I also had a proofreading deadline this week, my Bible Study assigment was particularly time-consuming, and I'm helping organize a PTA fundraiser that is supposed to take place on Saturday. Throw in two basketball games and you've got a recipe for disaster! There is a game this afternoon and I cannot find out where the dang thing is going to be! We have a bit of a problem with getting the correct information about our daughter's after-school events. I don't know why this is, as we seem to be the only family in town with this problem, but it is most frustrating, especially when you have a sick child and have to have the entire family fed and on time to church by 6:30 on a game day.

I, for one, am hoping the school's website is right for once and the game is being played at home. But, of course, that means Redheaded Snippet is wearing the wrong uniform and is going to need me to bring her other one up to her at some point today. I am also hoping Man-Cub will sleep the day away so I can catch up on missed sleep as well. And, it may not be very appropriate for me to say this as a PTA officer, but I'm hoping the fundraiser scheduled for Friday is cancelled. There doesn't seem to be enough interest as we haven't sold any tickets, and I would like nothing more than to put it aside for another time when my family is healthy and I'm not so worn out.

On that note, I'm going back to bed. Maybe Man-Cub and I will take a trip to Grandma's later to see which movies she has that we haven't watched yet this week. I'm feeling a big pot of tea and a nice, hot, fresh batch of scones shared under a fuzzy blanket on the couch in front of the tv will be just what we need!

P.S. I don't know what's going on, but the spell-check feature has not worked for me the last 3 posts I've written. So, if things are a bit out of order, that's why! It's driving me crazy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Lent. Tell everyone you're fasting from distracting activities.

Jen said...

I thought I was the only one having problems with spell checker..Glad to know, I am not hte only one.... see...the I mean.
:)