Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Veg Night

Aye me, what a week it's been! Normally, I'd be relieved and grateful it's Friday, but lately, our weekends haven't been very different from our weekdays. Redheaded Snippet has to be at school at 8:00 tomorrow morning, The Viking is working an extra job all day (raising money to pay off the credit card and install the wood stove) and I have to do school shopping all day long. I am NOT looking forward to it. I hate shopping. If I had the money, I'd have a personal shopper. And a Mrs. Doubtfire, though not to take care of the children. But I think I've beaten that topic to death.

Tonight we are trying to relax. Man-Cub has just discovered Tom and Jerry so we've rented a dvd and are planning on cozying up in front of the telly this evening. I made a quick "catch-up" meal of Eggs in a Basket, one of my old stand-bys for when The Viking isn't eating at home (he doesn't like breakfast for dinner). And I had a loaf of French bread lying around that had gotten hard enough to brain someone with so I hacked it into pieces, soaked it in custard and in only 20 more minutes it will be (hopefully) lovely bread pudding! Mmmmmm, bread pudding and Tom and Jerry! It doesn't get much better than that, does it?

I managed to get the worst of my school shopping done this week: the dreaded clothes shopping with Man-Cub. We got 3 pairs of pants (1 black, 1 khaki, 1 red and grey swooshie), 5 shirts (1 lime green T, 1 olive green T, 1 cream and grey striped T, 1 navy blue long-sleeved with yellow stripes on the arms--very dramatic, and 1 green and blue plaid flannel), and one very smart pair of shoes (kind of a cross between a sneaker and a loafer) all for $55! Gotta love consignment shopping! And, though my Snippet refuses to believe it, we'll be doing consignment shopping for her as well (hello, Plato's Closet).

Well, The Viking has returned, the bread pudding is out of the oven and it's time for vintage cartoons! But before I go, I leave you with two favorite recipes recently approved by my household.


Beef and Potato Burritos
from Everyday Food

There have been (sadly) few meals I've made that have made us grunt delightedly with our mouths full, but this is one of them. It's gooooooooood.

1 large baking potato
2 T canola oil
3/4 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
14 oz can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 1/2 t ground cumin
2 t paprika
salt
4 10-inch flour tortillas
1/4 c sour cream
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1/4 c grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 c fresh cilantro (EF calls this optional, but we call it essential)
1 lime, plus wedges for garnish

1. Peel potato; cut into 1/2-inch dice. In large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add potato; cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add beef, onion and pepper; cook, stirring, until beef is thoroughly browned about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, cumin and paprika and 1 t salt; cook until liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes.

2. Heat tortillas, one at a time, in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, about 10 seconds.

3. Leaving space on bottom and sides, layer tortillas with sour cream, lettuce mixture, cheese and cilantro; squeeze lime juice on top. Fold bottom upward, leaving top end open. Serve garnished with lime wedges or whatever.

And for dessert:

Easiest Fresh Blueberry Pie EVER


I first saw this recipe in the book, Once a Month Cooking by Mimi Lagerborg and Mary Beth Wilson. I loved the premise of the book, and diligently tried it for quite a while, but was severely lacking in the necessary skills required to cook for my family one day a month. However, reading it was the first step in my quest to become a decent cook and this blueberry pie recipe is one I've always held on to. It's so easy you hardly even need to measure anything.

1 or 2 pints fresh blueberries
red currant jelly
sour cream
graham cracker crust (or your favorite recipe for same)

Rinse and pick over blueberries. Heat about 10 oz red currant jelly in a saucepan until melted. Mix in blueberries. Pour into crust. Spread with enough sour cream to cover berries completely and seal edges. Chill and serve.

That's IT! I'm not kidding! Every time I make it I feel guilty like I'm cheating and everyone is always so impressed and cannot believe it's only 4 ingredients including the crust and then I feel even more guilty.

Right. I'm off to veg on sofa.

No comments: