Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Thrifty Kitchen Kitsch

Intrigued?  You SHOULD be!

So, let's just start out by saying that I am not crafty.  I am not that type of lady.  My arts and crafts talents are limited to knitting and makeup application.  And in the knitting department, all I've made is a bunch of scarves, a head wrap and an experimental wristlet.  So I'm not sure I can count that as a talent.

I am also terrible on follow-through.  I have to strike while the iron is hot, i.e. while I'm still interested in a project, because I will abandon it for sure the minute I get bored or frustrated with it.

Anyway.  A-HEM.

We have, you may recall, just moved into a new home.  And this home needs some furnishings.  And it was decided by the Vicarage Think Tank (me and The Vicar) that a new kitchen table was a top priority.  Actually, this was decided by way of a lot of whining and complaining on my part and sighing and conceding on The Vicar's, poor man.

So, yeah, I wore him down until he agreed to look for a table and chairs.  I PROMISED him I would be my thriftiest best.


And would you look at what I found!

Actually, Mom spotted it first, thrift shopper extraordinaire that she is.  She took us to a place that can only be described as a junk shop--more like a junk warehouse.  She warned us before we went in.  She said, "Ok, this place is a crap shoot.  Sometimes it's all junk and sometimes you can dig up something worthwhile."  And, about 25 seconds after we entered she called me over to where she was standing with a, "Hey, this looks like you!"


It was in good condition, the chairs were comfy (we all checked), and the owner was willing to give it to us for $100.  SOLD!  When we got back in the car, I said, "I'm going to spray paint it-


--RED!"  Before anyone howls at me, The poor Vicar did not spray paint it by himself.  We did it together.  We both got mightily high and discovered the answers to all of life's most puzzling questions.  Together.


 Three cans of Glossy Ruby paint: a little less than $10...


And then it was time to do something about the faded and dingy seat covers.  I can't say that I have a fabric stash, but I did happen to have quite a bit of red and white ticking leftover from our kitchen renovation five years or so ago.  FREE FABRIC!


Now, I have never covered seat cushions before.  And I am so NOT crafty when it comes to fabric.  My only experience with a sewing machine was the sewing class I was required to take in 8th grade and I got a C.  I couldn't even make a pillow.  It's bad, folks.  But I took a good look at the way these cushions were already covered and decided I could copy it.



I'm sure there are plenty of more professional and efficient ways to cover a cushion.  And I'm sure more experienced seamstresses would be horrified if they turned any one of these over.  But, to me, they look good and the lines are straight!


And I did it BY MYSELF!  Usually I hand all fabric jobs over to Mom, who probably could have gotten this task completed with a lot less time and sweat than I did.



But it's sweat that I'm proud of and sweat I can claim as all my own!  I am so PROUD of myself and so THRILLED with the results!  I keep strolling through the kitchen to get a glimpse of it!


So there you have my kitschy kitchen table and chairs hack.  Not bad for $110, eh?

Next up: drapes for Redheaded Snippet's room made from a $20 Target shower curtain!  There's no stopping me now!



No comments: