Pages

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Hear me roar


Posting recipes is making me feel empowered, somehow, so I'm continuing with it. I'm discovering that I am, as it turns out, a very visual learner. Don't tell me how to do something, show me; and I'm more likely to get it. As such, I've discovered that I have to keep visual records of my successes around and get them out from time to time to remind myself that I'm not a stupendous failure. And that's what these recipes do for me, I look at them and remember, "Oh, yeah, I did that!"

So, at the risk of over-stroking my ego, here's another family favorite. It's not that impressive, but it's a stand-by. When I just can't take one more whine, one more weary sigh, one more wrinkled nose at the dinner table (and when boneless, skinless chicken is on sale), I serve this. Gets 'em every time!



Herbed Baked Chicken Cutlets
(from a local church cookbook)
(Serves 8)

-1 large Reynolds baking bag
-8-10 pieces boneless, skinless chicken
-2 T chicken seasoning blend
-1 t garlic and herb seasoning
-1 T olive oil
-1 packet onion soup mix
-1 T white wine

*NOTE: I have used just about every combination of spices and herbs imaginable. I have found that these seasonings and the amounts used are mere suggestions. This recipe works with almost anything. I've even substituted a small amount of cider vinegar for white wine and it's still good. It's the baking bag that provides the magic.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In bag mix dry seasonings.

3. Add chicken, wine and oil and shake until chicken is coated (shaking never works for me, I just kind of mush it around until it's all coated).

4. Place bag in shallow 9x13 baking dish, fasten with plastic thingy provided (or use a twistie), and cut vent slits in the bag as indicated on the box.

5. Bake for 1 hour.

With this chicken I usually serve:



Sweet Buttered Corn
(same church cookbook)

-16 oz frozen corn
-1/2 cup water
-1 t sugar
-3 T butter

Place corn and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add butter and sugar. Cook 5 minutes.


And Roasted Asparagus (can't remember where I got it, but I've made this for years now and it's always a hit)

-asparagus (as much as you want)
-olive oil
-salt (the coarser the better)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Prepare baking sheet by drizzling with olive oil (you can use cooking spray but it's just not as good).

3. Wash asparagus and snap woody ends off. Dry well.

4. Place asparagus on baking sheet and roll in oil to coat (if using baking spray, you may have to spray the asparagus to coat them well enough).

5. Sprinkle with salt.

6. Roast 10 minutes.

This meal can't be easier and you get to sit and catch up on email, fold laundry, or make a few phone calls while the chicken just bakes itself (my favorite kind of meal, with down time built in).

No comments: