Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: Cackalacky Edition

round button chicken
Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life.  Every Thursday at Like Mother, Like Daughter
South Cackalacky, to be precise.

That's right, South Carolina! I was fortunate enough to be able to make a trip down to visit Dharma & Co. last week. For no reason whatsoever other than I wanted to and could. How revolutionary is that? All thanks to my new life with my new schedule.

Let me 'splain.

With The Vicar working mere steps away and available at almost any point in any given day, Calvin back in public school, and Redheaded Snippet (formerly my biggest schedule packer) five hours away and responsible for her own schedule now, I have a lot more time on my hands. Well, not really on my hands, you know. I still have the household to run and there are more things involving church (living here and all) and, really, it seems my schedule before was kind of borderline nuts and now, well, now it is actually nicely balanced between busy and relaxed. I feel like a normal person, able to accomplish what I need to and keep everything running smoothly without too much angst. I figure it will go back to chaos mode once Calvin starts high school in two years but, for now, I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Beginning with gadding about down to So Car with Daria (who came to visit after Redheaded Snippet left in an effort to keep the house from feeling too empty), staying for a few days, husband- and child-free (it was weird, but nice), with my sister, brother-in-law, and nieces, and taking the train back up to Philly by myself.

It was an adventure. Not really, it was peaceful and relaxing.  And pretty, happy, funny, and real.

And I can prove it.
Pretty




Just look at sweet Lulubee!  She is the sunniest, sweetest, most sociable baby!  I had a blast holding and playing with her every chance I got!

Happy

Silly time with the nieces.  'Nuff said.


And is there really anything quite so happy as having a baby fall snuggly to sleep on you?  Especially if you managed to lull her to sleep just by singing to her?

Funny

This is what I discovered when I opened one of Dharma's kitchen cupboards to get a mug for tea.  Vance is a mad-scientist chemist (Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated anyone?) and, apparently, they have their own swag mugs.  With elements on them.  Dharma says he has lots of them.  I wonder if he has one for every element?  I dunno, I didn't ask.


Also, in the funny department, though this didn't happen while I was there (I WISH IT HAD), is this silliness...


Apparently, today was International Talk Like a Pirate day and, in celebrations, Krispy Kreme was giving away a free donut to everyone who talked like a pirate and a free dozen to anyone who dressed like one.


So, Dharma did what any mother who has a tight budget and great need for something fun to do with young children (not to mention donuts) would do: dressed everyone up and got in the car!


Argh, thar be treasure, mateys!  That's quite a few donuts!  And I totally love the fact that Dharma took the time to paint a mustache on Fidget and a big, nasty scar on Rosebud!  Hilarious!

Real

And, finally, guess who is having the time of her life going to college and playing field hockey?  And guess who scored the first goal in the first game of the season?  And guess who has played every game and started in all of them but the first?  And who leads the team in goals scored?  And who is, more importantly, taking every opportunity to share the love of Jesus with everyone she meets and being a light to those around her? Why, that Redheaded Snippet over in the far left of that photo.  She is so incredibly happy (almost put her in the Happy section) and we are so relieved and proud of her that we almost have to pinch ourselves to make sure this is real.  But real it is, and for that we are incredibly thankful!

Where have you been able to find contentment lurking this week?  Sniff it out and show it to us!


No comments: