Pages

Monday, October 05, 2009

In Fine Fettle

That phrase just popped into my head just now and I think it about sums up my day!

Today was very nearly the perfect Autumn day. Brilliant sunshine, crisp breezes, a fantastic hockey game (we beat our rivals 7-0), pumpkin donuts, hot cider, and a lovely supper to cap it off!

Whole chickens were on sale at my store this week. And when chickens go on sale and the weather gets cooler it's the perfect opportunity to make chicken noodle soup. I actually bought two chickens and am planning on roasting the other one tomorrow to make chicken pot pie and perhaps some chicken salad out of it. But last night, it was chicken noodle soup.

This is not a photo of my actual soup. I still can't find my photo card so I'm left to depend on the kindness of strangers once again, but the above soup looks exactly like the soup I made last night. It's a household favorite and even Daria and my parents ask for some whenever I make it. It's so good we don't mind having it as leftovers several nights in one week. Which we're doing this week, starting tonight.

This is also not the salad I made, but Rachel Ray's version (which very well may be the recipe I used, can't remember). Some red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, a sliced Honey Crisp apple, and a Bosc pear all drizzled with a vinaigrette made of apple cider, cider vinegar, sugar and olive oil and served with sharp cheddar makes a delightful accompaniment to the creamy, seductive chicken noodle soup! I'd like to eat this outside in front of a fire if I could! Or indoors in front of a fireplace under a throw blanket would be nice, too. Hopefully someday we'll get that wood stove installed.

Anyway, I'm ready to get my woolly socks and pajamas on and curl up on the sofa with a steaming mug of tea so I'd best get to cleaning up after supper. Happy Autumn evening!

No comments: